This view of Grace Street in 1883 shows the ‘Apothecaries Hall’, the premises of E.J. Martin, chemist and dentist, after whom this chemist shop is named. In the window, colour glass carboys dating back to the 1600s can be seen and have become a symbol of a pharmacists’ profession.
The chemist of old would carry a wide range of products including cosmetics, photographic supplies, household chemicals, patent medicines, potions and cure-alls. A dispensary was usually set aside as a place where medicinal concoctions and pills could be prepared according to doctors’ orders.